The country of Mexico has always been among the forerunners when it comes to spicy food. And as we, as Indians, are quite famous for spices and herbs, it would be a shame not to introduce some of the Mexican dishes with an Indian twist. Adding an Indian spin to a dish does nothing but increases the homeliness of the meal. The Mexican Cuisine, just like the Indian cuisine, has a rich and spicy(pun intended) history behind it. It all began 9000 years ago. Waves of American people brought their unique ways and spices for cooking the same food. So, Mexican cuisine has been evolving all these years to get where it is today. Generally used flavors in Mexican cooking are onion, garlic, and chipotle powder (roasted jalapeños that have been dried and ground). The most commonly used spices and herbs in the style of Mexican cooking include chili powder, cilantro, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, anise, cocoa powder, and epazote.
The Mexican delicacy that we are going to be preparing today is a dish called Mexican Quesadilla (and if you think you’re pronouncing that last word right, let me tell you, you’re not.) And the twist that we are putting on it is that we are making it 100% vegetarian. It’s an appetizing dish where simple tortillas are stuffed with vegetable fillings. These quesadillas are great for a lunch date or even dinner. Our vegetable Mexican Quesadillas are healthy in every way and also low-fat. If you don’t have tortillas at home, you can use leftover Rotis. Children especially love the combination of cheese and fresh raw vegetables.
If you serve these delicious treats along with some Mexican Salsa or a Yogurt dip, it’ll make for a wholesome meal.
- 4 Tortillas
- 1 cup Cheese made grated
- 1/4 cup Carrots (Gajjar) perfectly chopped
- 1/4 cup Red Bell pepper (Capsicum) perfectly chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) perfectly chopped
- 1 cup Green zucchini
- Cooking oil, for the purpose of toasting
- Salt as per the taste
- Tabasco sauce as per the taste
The place where the magic happens
- For making the most delicious Vegetable Mexican Quesadillas, we shall heat a heavy-bottomed pan on the medium flare, add a teaspoon of oil to it, and then the chopped bell peppers, garlic, and zucchini.
- We shall sprinkle salt and stir fry until the zucchini and carrots appear soft.
- After doing that, we add the Tabasco sauce and put in some coriander leaves and stir them.
- Now we let the roasted carrots and zucchini cool, just a little.
- Now we shall place the tortillas on the tabletop and put the roasted veggie mixture into half the tortilla, then add the right amount of cheese over the veggie mixture, and then we shall close the Quesadillas to form a D shape.
- We shall apply some softened butter on top and place these veggie stuffed Quesadillas on a preheated pan. We cook the Quesadillas on both sides until they are all brown and crisp.
- Once they have that crisp-brown texture, we take it off the pan and serve it with Guacamole or a Yogurt dip.
A wholesome meal is served.