Elumichai Sadam is a traditional rice-based recipe, which can make in only a couple of minutes with the decency of lime zing and spices. It is likewise known as lemon rice.
Lemon Rice is a customary South Indian Variety Rice or Kalavai Sadam recipe made with cooked rice, tempered with lentils, turmeric powder, and lemon juice. A Quick Fix Rice recipe that can stuff in a lunch box or school tiffin box.
Making the Lemon rice isn’t time-consuming, which is the best part of this recipe. Another bonus is that it needn’t with any side dish.
It tends to be made with extra rice from earlier evening or with newly cooked rice. Although South Indians prefer rice varieties using short-grain rice, this can prepare with Basmati Rice.
Lemon Rice, however, contains gluten-free rice, hing or asafoetida is added to the recipe, which can easily skip for a 100% gluten-free form.
Ingredients of Elumichai Sadam
- 1/2 cup rice
- One teaspoon mustard seeds
- Two tablespoon Chana dal
- One teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup raw peanuts
- 1 Pinches turmeric
- One tablespoon lime zing
- Two tablespoons of refined oil
- 1/4 cup urad dal salt as required
- One small bunch of curry leaves
- Four green chilies
- 1-inch ginger
- Wash and soak rice and urad dal independently for 2-3 hours. Take a vessel and add rice alongside water; cook the rice. Drain the water and keep it to the side.
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Include the mustard seeds, split urad dal (dark gram dal), split chana dal, dried red chilies, cumin seeds, and curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Include the chopped cashew nut and the peanuts. Cook till the cashew nuts are golden, and the dals are slightly brown.
- Include the finely minced ginger, lemon zing, chopped green chilies, salt, and sugar. Saute for 20 seconds. Include the turmeric and blend well to mix. Make sure the turmeric doesn’t, and the flame is set too low. Saute for 5-10 seconds.
- Add the cooked rice, blend well, and switch off the fire, including lemon juice and coriander leaves. Continuously add lemon juice at last. Cooking lemon juice for quite a while will make it bitter. So we generally add lemon squeeze after removing from heat. The remaining heat of the rice will cook the juice barely enough.
- Soak the rice before pressure cooking. The rice will be delicate on the surface and not dry in the lunch box or during travel.
- Turmeric powder in a perfect should be added towards the end. Try not to consume it.
- The lemon rice consumes at room temperature. Not warm or hot. Never reheat the extras.
- If that you are packing this rice for travel, add some additional oil while tempering. Oil helps in retaining the freshness and will keep the rice from drying out.
Leave a Reply