Desserts are indeed a blessing, providing us with the best sugary taste and filling our mouths with flavors. They are made even better when we combine them with our favorite meals.
India serves as the hub of sweet dishes. No matter what your location is, Indian sweets are treats in every location and make you feel loved. One such location is Gujarat. Gujarat is filled with tremendous sweet delicacies and is surely worth the taste. As a result of today, we will see how to make a traditional Gujarati sweet dish named ‘sukhdi.’ Here is the process to make yummy gud papdi at home in no time!
Following Are The Ingredients To Make Sukhdi:
- Whole wheat flour- 1 cup
- Poppy seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Ghee- 5-6 tablespoons
- Grated jaggery- 1 cup
- Cardamom powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Coconut- 1 teaspoon
- First, we will prepare the thali in which sukhdi will be kept. Take a big thali and grease it properly with ghee(bottom and edges).
- Sprinkle some poppy seeds on the greased thali and keep it aside.
- Take a vessel of your choice (probably non-stick) and heat it over a medium flame.
- Once heated, add 3-4 tablespoons of ghee.
- Once the ghee gets hot, add 1 cup whole wheat flour.
- Keep the flame on low and keep stirring at regular intervals with a ladle.
- Keep stirring for approximately 12-15 minutes until it turns golden brown.
- Once the flour turns golden brown, remove it from the flame.
- Add 1 cup grated jaggery, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder and desiccated coconut.
- All these ingredients will melt instantly, so make sure you keep stirring.
- Once done, pour the batter into the greased thali, which we had prepared before.
- With the help of a spoon or a ladle, spread out the batter evenly on the thali.
- Sprinkle it with all your choice of dry fruits such as almonds and pistachios.
- Allow the batter to cool down and then cut the dessert into small diamond-shaped sizes.
Total Preparation Time: 20-25 Minutes
Key Points To Consider:
- There is no hard and fast rule to grease the thali in the beginning. You can do that after the preparation of your batter as well.
- Do not overcook the whole wheat flour, or it will ruin the taste of your dessert.
- Make sure you roast whole wheat flour on a low flame so that the flour can be perfectly cooked.
- Cardamom powder is completely optional. It provides you with a bit of spicy taste to balance out the flavors.
- You can cut the batter into any shape you want. There is no hard and fast rule.
There are very fewer sweets which can be made by beginners. However, this recipe is extremely easy and do not involve a lot of ingredients as well. This dessert fills your void of having something sweet (yet a bit spicy) after meals. With the Gujarati meal on your table, you can’t miss having this precious dessert by your side. Try this recipe with your loved ones and enjoy it.