One such dish is basundi. A traditional Gujarati dessert which melts in your mouth instantly. This dessert is considered to be one of the healthiest desserts owing to be the fact that it is made up of milk and dry fruits and nuts. One of the specialties of this dessert is that it can be adjusted according to the choices of individuals. Found in flavors of strawberry and mangoes, it can also be modified as to what dry fruits you want to add. Quite easy to make and can be used by beginners, this dish is a perfect meal-maker. Without wasting much time, let’s see how to enjoy this traditional creamy dessert.
Following Is The List Of Ingredients You Will Need To Make Basundi:
- Milk- 2 liters
- Condensed milk- 2 cups
- Sugar- 1 cup
- Saffron-1/4 teaspoon
- Cardamom powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Nut and Dry fruits (all types)- as per requirement
- Take a vessel of your choice (preferable non-stick) and heat it on a medium-high flame.
- It is advised to rinse the vessel with water first to form a protective layer.
- Add 2 liters of milk into the vessel and allow it to cook on a medium flame.
- Let the milk come to a boil. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Separate two spoons of milk and soak 1/4 teaspoon saffron in it. This saffron will again be poured back into milk once it is completely soaked.
- You will notice that the milk will start sticking to the sides. Scrap the layers accumulated at the sides and put it back in the milk.
- Let the milk reach a thick consistency then add 3 cups of condensed milk.
- Again let it boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Once you think you have attained the optimum consistency (preferably thick), add the soaked saffron and all the nuts and dry fruits of your choice.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom powder to balance the taste.
- Let it reach a boil. You will notice that the milk is reduced in size, and the color changes.
- Remove the vessel from the flame and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Your dessert is ready to serve.
Total Preparation Time: 25-30 Minutes
Key Points To Consider:
- Keep stirring the milk when it is boiling. Do not allow the milk to stick to the bottom of the vessel.
- Keep scrapping the milk, which sticks at the sides to avoid wastage of milk.
- It is preferable to use all the nuts like almonds, pistachios, cashews, etc. for a better taste. You can add or subtract nuts according to your preference.
- Basundi can be served hot as well as cold. After removing the vessel, you can serve it hot or put the dessert in the fridge for an hour and serve it cold.
- If you want, you can add nutmeg powder as well. This will give you a spicy taste to your dessert and will enhance your flavor.
This Gujarati dessert is extremely easy to make. With the main ingredient as milk, this dessert is quite healthy and is enjoyed by all age groups. Fitness freaks can also enjoy full of nuts and dry fruits, this dessert. You can try various variations in this recipe by adding your preferred choice of ingredients as well. Try this recipe at home with your loved ones and enjoy it.