Vegetable Cutlet is one of the most popular mouth-watering snacks, readily available at any of the standard restaurants in India, whether it’s a reputed restaurant or a street vendor. People throng in numbers to visit these popular places, and it’s common among people of all ages. Often it’s called Evening Snack owing to its popularity for having it along with tea in the evening. We can even prepare it at home within a limited time with a variety of available veggies; it readily quenches the taste-buds with its hot and crispy flavor. It can be served with Chutney or Sauce of any kind. So, today let’s see how can we prepare Vegetable Cutlet with the following ingredients.
Vegetables like carrots are rich in vitamins, and others like potatoes are a source of various nutrients like Vitamin B6, Manganese, etc.
- One or Two Tablespoons of Oil,
- Half Teaspoon of Cumin Seeds,
- Half Teaspoon of Turmeric Powder,
- Half Teaspoon of Red Chilli Powder
- Half Teaspoon of Garam Masala
- Finely Grated Onion,
- Finely Grated Paneer.
- Finely Grated Coriander,
- Salt to taste.
For Veggies –
One cup of Potato with a half cup of Carrot, Peas, Cabbage and Beans need to be mildly boiled.
For Batter –
- Half Cup of Besan.,
- One Cup of Bread Crumbs
- Half Teaspoon of Salt,
- Sufficient Water for a thick paste.
- We’ll put the pan on an oven and turn it on, adding a tablespoon of oil.
- As the oil gets heated, we’ll add a teaspoon of cumin seeds and finely grated onion, will fry it till it gets golden brown.
- Next, all the mildly boiled veggies such as Potato, Carrot, Peas, Cabbage, Beans with grated Paneer, will be added one by one. It has to be tossed and cooked for a few couples of minutes.
- After that, we shall add salt according to the taste, and Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder and Garam Masala for its distinct flavor.
- Finally, when the veggies get cooked, we’ll take it out from the oven and put it aside in a bowl to let it cool. Add half teaspoon of finely chopped Coriander with a half cup of bread crumbs for a stronger binding to lessen the amount of moisture present in the veggies and make small round shaped ball out of it to dip in a batter onwards.
- To make a batter, we’ll take another bowl and add a half cup of Besan or any other flour available, to it we’ll add a half teaspoon of salt, and sufficient water to make a thick paste.
- The prepared round shaped balls need to be flattened and coated with breadcrumbs for both sides. Accordingly, we’ll make the rest of the cutlets following a similar fashion.
- Again, we’ll heat a pan with a one or two teaspoons of oil, and add the cutlets one by one to fry until it turns golden brown for both aides, take off excess oil with the help of a spatula and place it on a tissue paper to absorb some more of it.
- Hot and crispy Vegetable Cutlet is ready, serve it with Chutney or Sauce of any kind.
The recipe for Vegetable Cutlet can also be altered with different ingredients according to its availability or suitability. For example, people suffering from Diabetes or Sugar or those for whom potatoes are restricted can skip it and add sweet potatoes in its place. Similarly, we can also add mildly boiled corn or cauliflower or noodles (in that case, we can call it Noodles Cutlet) for a whole different flavor or any other vegetable readily available in that particular season. There aren’t any fixed ingredients to this dish; one can add a myriad of -vegetables and stuffs like that to try something new, to taste something different, and give a new variety altogether to the concept of Vegetable Cutlet.