India serves as a hotspot when it comes to great delicacies. Ranging from traditional recipes that are 100 years old to new cuisines, including Mexican and Thai, India is gradually showing expertise in the food and beverage sector. One such dish which is loved by hundreds of ethnicities is rice.
A traditional ingredient that can be molded into any form to fit any ritual. With Independence Day around the corner, we must choose something which is loved by everyone and appreciated across generations. The true flavor and aroma which sets the mood for a perfect family get together.
A fun snack among youth and perfect side dish among elders, today’s recipe fits every occasion. Today we will see how to make Ven Pongal.
It is a South Indian recipe holding tight to its traditional roots and loved by the entire country. Top restaurant chains like Marriott to street food vendors, this dish is available everywhere and steals our hearts. Without waiting further, let’s check out the recipe.
Following is the list of ingredients you will need to make Ven Pongal:
- Rice-1 cup
- Moong Dal-1/4 cup
- Oil-1 tablespoon
- Hing-1/8 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds-1/2 teaspoon
- Salt-as required
- Water-3 cups
- Ghee-2 tablespoons
- Cashews-10 to 12
- Take a small vessel and add 1/4 cup of Moong dal. Keep the flame on low and roast them to get an aroma.
- Do not roast them extensively. We only want the aroma and not the brown color. As soon as you get the aroma, turn off the flame and let it cool.
- Transfer the dal into a bowl. Add 1 cup of rice into the bowl. Make sure to remove all the stones from the rice.
- Rinse both the ingredients twice with water just to make sure they are clean. Drain both the ingredients.
- Take a pressure cooker and add one tablespoon of oil. Add 1/8 teaspoon of hing. After a minute or two, add the drained ingredients in the cooker.
- Afterward, add 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds, one teaspoon chopped ginger and taste as per your taste.
- Stir for 2-3 minutes until you get a nice aromatic touch. You can also add chili powder if you want to make it a bit spicy.
- Add 3-4 cups of water in the cooker and cover it. Let them cook on high flame for 4-5 whistles.
- Turn down the flame. Do not open the cooker instantly. Let the pressure settle down and then remove the lid.
- You will get freshly cooked rice along with moong dal. Cover it with the lid and keep it aside.
- Take a small pan and add 2-3 tablespoons of ghee.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds and around 10-12 cashews.
- Allow the cashews to change their color and add black pepper as per your taste.
- Stir well and pour the entire tadka into the rice. Mix the rice, and your Pongal is ready to serve.
Total Preparation Time: 20-25 Minutes
Key Points To Remember:
- Rinse both the rice and moong dal carefully and remove all the impurities.
- You can increase/decrease the number of whistles as per your choice.
- You can add other spices such as red chili and turmeric if you want.
This recipe is easy to make and does not involve a lot of complex ingredients. You can choose your preferred spices and can mold the dish to your liking and taste. It can be served to all your guests and makes a perfect evening. Try this recipe on the upcoming Independence Day and experience the pure flavor of India’s history.