Punjabi Sarson da Saag is a famous dish from Northern India. Originating in the Northern state of Punjab, this dish has become worldwide today. The flavor palate of the dish is very delicious. The recipe comprises of many leafy vegetables cooked together in ghee accompanied by various spices.
This recipe has a preparation time of 20 minutes and a cooking time of another 20 minutes. The entire method thus takes 40 minutes to make yummy and healthy Punjabi Sarson da saag. It prepares a wonderful tasting saag that can serve up to four people.
Ingredients Needed For The Recipe
The Punjabi Sarson da saag recipe uses the following ingredients.
- ½ pound freshly cleaned, washed and chopped spinach
- ½ punch freshly cleaned, washed and chopped mustard green(Sarson)
- Two green chilies
- One onion grated well
- One tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste
- One tablespoon maize flour
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of ghee
- Salt to taste
- A teaspoon of cumin
- A teaspoon of coriander
- A teaspoon of garam masala
- Lemon juice of ½ a lemon
- Unsalted butter for garnishing
Steps For Preparation
It is easy to make an aromatic and luscious Sarson da saag at home. The steps used for the preparation of Sarson da saag are mentioned below. One can prepare an authentic dish by following this Punjabi Sarson da saag recipe. The steps are simple to follow.
- The first step is, gather all the ingredients for the recipe in the required amounts. The number of ingredients needed may change in case of a change in the number of servings required.
- Take a medium-sized pot and mix the spinach, mustard green (Sarson), and green chilies in it. Add a cup of water and boil the contents until they are cooked.
- After this, the mixture needs to be appropriately mashed and mixed together to form a paste of coarse consistency.
- Take another pan or cooking pot and heat the ghee on a medium flame. When the ghee is heated well, add the grated onions in it. Fry the onions until they turn pale golden.
- Add all the other spices, as mentioned in the ingredients. After this, cook the contents until the oil separates from the masala that has just been prepared.
- Add the mashed mixture or paste of green leafy vegetables prepared in steps 2 and 3 to this masala. Mix the content well until they are blended thoroughly.
- Turn the flame off when the dish is cooked well and empty the contents in a vessel ready to serve.
- Garnish with unsalted butter and serve hot.
The Punjabi Sarson da saag tastes best when served with Makki di roti prepared with maize flour. The dish of Sarson da saag and Makki di roti is a traditional delicacy of North India.