People often confused this delicacy with palak paneer, which is strikingly different in terms of preparation, and green color is there due to the use of spinach leaves in both the recipe. In palak paneer puree of tomato and onion are used, but in these different ingredients are used. The goodness of cream and high nutrient value makes this dish a remarkable one. You can serve this divine dish with simple Tawa roti, butter roti, and naan. To prepare this recipe, you should be aware of the blanching process, i.e., boil the water first and then add leaves for 3 to 5 minutes with a little salt. Methi leaves produce heat to the body.
This is the reason that these leaves are used in d valley pretty much. For making this recipe, you have to use a heavy-bottomed pan, such as kadhai. And this is very suitable at dinner, easy to digest due to methi and spinach leaves. These whole spices are used, which has several health benefits. Fennel powder, cumin seeds, and methi seeds improve your digestion while cardamom gives you excellent flavor. Turmeric powder provides healing capability, which boosts your immune system.
Kashmir is known for its scenic beauty, and this dish complements the same for looks. After consuming this divine food, you will be able to handle the chills of the valley, of course, you will need your winter wear as well. You can replace cottage cheese with tofu to make it vegan. Experimenting with the dish is possible, you can replace paneer with lots of veggies like pea carrot and beans. And you can add vegetable cutlets in the gravy. According to your taste, you can make this dish. In royal marriages of Kashmir, this is a must on the menu.
This particular recipe takes 40 minutes to serve four people according to your requirements. You can double and do half the ingredient.
Total time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 People
For Spinach and fenugreek Puree
1 Bundle Fresh Fenugreek leaves
½ Bundle Fresh Spinach Leaves
4 Green Chilly
1 tsp Cumin Seeds (jeera)
1 Black Cardamom
1 inch of Cinnamon
Two bay leaves
Hing (a pinch)
1 tsp of fenugreek seeds
2 tbsp of Mustard oil
¼ tsp turmeric
½ tsp Garam Masala
½ tsp coriander powder
1 tsp fennel powder
½ tsp Ginger Powder
½ tsp sugar
Salt (as per taste)
2 tbsp cream
½ kg paneer(cut into cubes)
½ cup paneer grated
1 tsp crushed kasoori methi
- Boil water and blanch spinach and fenugreek leaves for 3 minutes.
- By using strainer drain excess water and transfer leaves into a blender and add green chilly with ½ cup of cold water.
- In heavy bottom vessel such as kadhai add oil, sauté cumin seeds, black cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf, hing and methi for 2 minutes.
- Further add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, fennel powder, ginger powder, sugar and salt sauté on low flame
- Now add the prepared puree and cook for 3 minutes by stirring continuously.
- Furthermore, add 1 cup of water and adjust consistency.
- Add cream and mix well, then add paneer cubes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add crushed kasoori methi and mix well.
- Serve this delicious with Tawa roti/naan or plain boiled rice.