Don’t you think India has a fairly greater advantage when it comes to festivals? Being home to such a large variety of ethnicities, every festival is just a day away. With more than 100 festivals around the year, we Indians have access to every flavor and dish in the country. No matter where you are residing, you always have a 24*7 supply of authentic delicacies.
One such recipe is Banan chips, which is a part of the traditional feast known as Sadhya, served mainly in Kerala and nearby areas on the occasion of Onam. Onam is the harvest festival which is mainly celebrated by the Southern States. A festival celebrated to show respect for King Mahabali. Besides worshipping, many traditions are said to be a part of this festival, including boat races, flower rangoli, and martial arts. This festival is ten days long and is celebrated throughout with musical nights and different dance forms.
Sadhya constitutes one of the major aspects of this festival, and today, we will learn one recipe of this platter i.e., Banana Chips. Without wasting further, let’s check out the recipe.
Following is the list of ingredients you will need to make Banana Chips:
- Salt-1 teaspoon
- Turmeric-1/2 teaspoon
- Coconut Oil-As per the vessel quantity
- Water-4 cups
- Nendra Banana’ s-2
- First things first, take two banana’s and peel off their skins. You can also use regular banana’s if you are not available with Nendra bananas.
- After peeling off the skin, slice the bananas of medium thickness.
- Transfer all the sliced pieces into a large bowl.
- Grease your hands with a teaspoon of oil and add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and one teaspoon of salt. Give this a quick mix with your greasy hands.
- Afterward, add 4 cups of water and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, drain off the water completely.
- Take a deep vessel and add an appropriate amount of oil to deep fry the bananas.
- One by one, transfer the drained pieces into the vessel. Make sure that no two pieces get stuck together.
- Cook them for about 10 minutes on a medium flame. Allow the chips to become crispy and golden-brown.
- Transfer the fried chips in a napkin to drain down the access oil.
- Your banana chips are ready to eat.
Total Preparation Time: 10-15 Minutes
Key Points To Remember:
- If possible, try to use Nendra banana only to get the perfect flavor.
- In this recipe, we have used coconut oil. However, you can use any oil or ghee as well.
You can add a teaspoon of red chili powder as well to make it spicier. However, do not forget to use turmeric. It gives chips the required flavor and color.