Are you one of those who are looking to try out some tasty delicacies to make this Parsi New Year? Well, you are in the right place.
Parsi New Year gives us an excuse to try out very famous dishes of all time. People of all religions and places are welcome to try these and get on board. Parsi meals not only are healthy but also give a rich mixture of flavors that cannot be found anywhere else.
Today we will make one such recipe that is Dhansak Dal. This dish mainly makes use of different dals, which, when blends with traditional Indian spices, give us a creamy taste.
Without wasting further time, let’s check out the recipe for Dhansak Dal.
Following is the list of ingredients you will need to make Dhansak Dal:
- Arhar Dal-1/2 cup
- Moong Dal
- Chana Dal
- Pudina-20-25 leaves
- Fenugreek leaves-50 grams
- Four green chilies
- 2 Brinjals
- Pumpkin-1 cup
- 3 Onions
- Two turnips
- 2 Tomatoes
- Ghee-2 teaspoon
- Lemon juice-1 tablespoon
- Garlic-3 cloves
- Black peppercorns- 2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
- 5 Cloves
- Cinnamon stick-1 inch
- Coriander-1 tablespoon
- First things first, take all the three types of dals and soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Till that time, we will prepare our dhansak masala. Take fenugreek and mint leaves in quantity mentioned above. Wash and chop them and keep them aside.
- Take a bowl and add three cloves of garlic, two ginger, three green chilies, two teaspoon black peppercorns, one teaspoon of cumin seeds, five cloves, 1-inch cinnamon stick and one tablespoon of coriander.
- Give it a quick mix and add all of them in a mixer. Add a little water according to your convenience and make a paste.
- Keep this masala aside.
- After your dals are soaked, transfer them into a pressure cooker. Along with dals, add one sliced onion, two green chilies, and already chopped mint and fenugreek leaves.
- Besides these ingredients, add one teaspoon of turmeric powder and salt as per your preference. Add 3 cups of water and give it a quick stir.
- Cover the cooker and take three whistles on a low flame.
- Once done, make sure you do not open the cooker. Allow the pressure to release from the cooker naturally. After opening, transfer all the ingredients into a bowl and mash them using a spatula or a potato masher and give the dals a smooth texture.
- Take a vessel and add one tablespoon of ghee. Add onions and tomatoes and sauté them for 5 minutes.
- Add the previously prepared dhansak masala into the vessel and stir it continuously. Allow the paste to cook well for 5-6 minutes on a high flame.
- Now add the dal mixture which you have created. Turn the flame low and cook for about 15 minutes with continuous stirring.
- Your dal will be done once you get the aroma of different flavors.
- Finally, garnish the dal with one tablespoon of lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Your dal is ready to serve.
Total Preparation Time: 30-35 Minutes
Dhansak Dal is traditionally prepared on the festival of Parsi New Year. This recipe is not that difficult; however, if you are a beginner, try to involve an adult to make sure that things are carried smoothly. You can always mould the ingredients of this dish as per your preference. Increase the number of spices to make it a bit spicier. If you are looking for a pleasant dinner with your family, this dish might fill your expectations. Use this recipe for any family gatherings and enjoy it.