Puran Poli is a Maharashtrian dish, which is simply a sweet Indian bread. It is also called as Vedhmi, Holige, Puranachi poli, God poli, Pappu bakshalu, Bakshalu, Bobbattu, Oliga (Poornam Bobbattu). It is a special dish of Maharashtra, which is prepared on every special occasion at every home, especially during festivals like Ganesh Chaturthi and Holi. It can be eaten with Basundi, Aamras, Kadhi, Amti, etc.
It can be easily made with home with the ingredients needed to prepare this Puran Poli are as follows:
Pigeon Peas (Toor Dal)- 1 little cup
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Jaggery powdered – 1 cup
Cardamom powder – ¼ tablespoon
Nutmeg (jaiphal) – ¼ tablespoon
Wheat flour- 1 cup
Flour (maida) – ½ cup
Oil – 2 tablespoon
- First, you have to wash pigeon peas for 15 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and fry it with the peas and transfer this stuffing to the big wok.
- Add the jiggery and mix it well until it becomes thick. Then add cardamom powder, nutmeg, and mix it
- The stuffing is now ready.
Then for making outer dough do the needful:
- Put the previous mixture into a bowl and mix wheat flour into that
- Add water to make it soft and leave it for 10-15 minutes.
For Puran Poli:
- Make balls from the above mixture and dal stuffing also.
- Roll into a circle and then add the dal stuffing onto it and again make a circle.
- Then heat it and add oil two tablespoons as mentioned above and flip it over.
- Cook until it becomes brown.
- Serve with basundi or served with butter on it.