India is the land of richness; our age-old practices of staying fit, like yoga and Ayurveda, are today widely recognized and endorsed across the globe. Our food habits, or culture, spices, and medicines are today respected globally. Indian brands are gaining western recognition and are spreading rapidly.
Our Indian food is rich in taste and health; while the west has gifted us colas, India has gifted the world rich desi health drinks that can fight any illness. Covid-19 has taught us the importance of health, and these 5 drinks are India’s gift to the world; they are simple, delicious, and amazingly healthy.
Today, we will dip deep into our ancient Indian traditions and bring you five desi health drinks to boost your immunity and take care of your inner health.
Bael Ka Sharbat
Bael fruit, also known as Bengal quince, is rich in vitamin C. One glass of Bael juice daily will keep your body hydrated and help your body fight ulcers, constipation, and dangerous bacteria.
How To Make Bael Ka Sharbat:
- Take a ripe bel fruit and peel it. Now remove the pulp and mash it.
- Next, add water to the extracted pulp and mix it properly.
- Once it is mixed thoroughly, strain it until all the seeds are drained out. Now keep the pulp separately.
- To make it healthier and filling, add banana, coconut, jaggery, black pepper, cardamom powder, and water.
- Lastly, add all the ingredients in a mixer and grind it well. Add ice-cubes and enjoy the drink.
There has not been a healthier summer drink for Indians than the delicious Aam Panna. Made of raw mangoes, this drink helps fight diabetes and is rich in vitamin A and B.
How To Make It?
- Pressure cook the raw mangoes for 5-6 whistles.
- Remove them from the cooker and peel them to extract the pulp.
- Now extract the pulp.
- Take the pulp in a jar and add ground sugar.
- Now stir the mixture well until it is diluted.
- Add salt and mix again.
- Grind some fresh mint leaves separately.
- Now add ice-cubes, pour the delicious Aam Panna into a glass.
- Add mint leaves on the top and enjoy the summery drink.
Kanji is the most popular drink, originated from Rajasthan. Kanji is prepared from fermented veggies like beetroot or berries and carrots. Kanji has many health benefits like, it prevents constipation, promotes bowel movement, and boosts immunity.
This tangy, salty, and yummy drink can be made in just 5 minutes. So, let’s see How To Prepare it.
How To Prepare?
- Take two fresh carrots and chop them into long pieces.
- Now, take some mustard in a grinder and prepare a fine mustard powder.
- Next, add carrots, grounded mustard, salt, chili powder to a warm cup of water.
- Stir the ingredients well.
- Now cover the drink and let it bask in the sun for 2 days.
- After 2 to 3 days, the solution will start tasting sour; now, your kanji is ready.
- Store it in your refrigerator and have it with rice or chapati.
Masala Chass/ Buttermilk
Tasty, light, and healthy – this drink is an absolute solution to all problems related to digestion. It is a great appetizer, and there cannot be a summer drink other than the yummy chaas(buttermilk). A Gujarati dinner cannot be complete without a glass of chaas, and the same is true for the South Indian meal. Made with curd and blended with salt and rich Indian spices, this drink is the easiest to make.
How To Prepare?
- Take curd, cumin powder, chaat masala, salt, finely chopped ginger, ground green chili paste, black pepper, chilled water, coriander leaves, and few mint leaves.
- With the help of a hand blender, mix the ingredients well, and create a smooth drink.
- Now pour the drink in a glass, add mint leaves on top and enjoy the drink after a rich and filling weekend lunch.
The Konkan region lives on this sour drink, and they cannot consider finishing their meals without this healthy and delicious drink. Sol Kadhi is a great antioxidant and has amazing digestive properties.
How To Prepare?
- Make some coconut milk or get one from the market.
- Soak fresh kokum in water for 1 hour
- Now strain the water to get a pretty reddish kokum extract.
- Add water and coconut milk to the extract. Put the mixture on flame and stir it for 10 minutes.
- Your SolKadhi is ready.
As Indians, we cannot imagine our meals with pickles and appetizers. The Indian spices and known for their ayurvedic health properties, strengthen our immune system, and keep our digestion under control. Through this article, we have shared 5 desi drinks that are easy, delicious, and healthy.