Often we get excited when we hear the word ‘SWEETS’ and why shouldn’t we, right?
The word sweets give an adrenaline rush and automatically brings us the sweet flavor in the mouth. Desserts are probably the only food that is very difficult to avoid. The more you try to avoid it, the more attracted you get.
Following is the list of ingredients you will need to make Mohan thal:
- Regular besan- 2 to 3 cups
- Melted ghee- 8-10 tablespoons
- Milk- 1 cup
- Sugar- 1-2 cups
- Milk- 2 tablespoons
- Cardamon Powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Saffron strands- 1/4 teaspoons
- Oil(for greasing)- 1/2 teaspoon
- Rose Water- 1 tablespoon
- Pistachio slivers- 1 tablespoon
- Almond slivers- 1 tablespoon
- We will start by making the mixture. Take a small bowl and add 1/4 teaspoon of saffron strands.
- Afterward, add approximately 2-3 teaspoons of water(make sure the water is warm for appropriate thickness).
- Mix both and keep it aside.
- Take another bowl(make sure it is a deep bowl this time) and add 2-3 cups of besan.
- Pour 3-4 tablespoons of besan and casually give it a mix.
- Then add approximately 3-4 tablespoons of milk.
- Using your hands, mix all the three ingredients properly. Make sure you mix in such a way that no lumps are formed. To make it easier, try rubbing the mixture between your hands to get it utterly crumbled.
- Spread the mixture evenly around the bowl and cover it with a lid.
- After 30-40 minutes, remove the lid and check the consistency. Break the so formed lumps with your fingertips.
- After properly crumbled, sieve the mixture using a sieve with big holes.
- Take a big vessel (preferably a non-stick pan) and heat approximately 3-4 tablespoons of ghee over medium-high heat.
- Allow the ghee to heat up and add the sieved besan mixture.
- Using a ladle, stir the mixture continuously over regular intervals of time.
- Continue this process for 5-7 minutes on medium heat. You will notice that the mixture will turn medium brown.
- Once it is cooked, turn off the heat and keep it aside for some time and allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, we will prepare the sugar syrup. Take another non-stick pan and add 1-2 cups of sugar.
- Add some water to it and allow it to cook on a high flame for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- After boiling, add two tablespoons of milk. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Later, remove all the dirt which starts floating and discard it. After discarding, cook for approximately 6-7 minutes more to reach the desired consistency.
- Take the besan mixture and add cardamon powder and saffron-water mixture to it.
- Now add the prepared sugar syrup into the mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients well until it cools down for approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Take a flat vessel and grease it well with oil.
- Pour the so formed mixture into it and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle pistachio and almond slivers all over it and pat it lightly.
- Leave the flat vessel to cool down for 2 hours. After cooling, cut it into equal pieces and enjoy it.
Total Preparation Time: 20-25 Minutes
Key Points To Consider:
- While preparing sugar syrup, you can add rose water as well to provide an extra flavor to it.
- If the intensity of the mixture after cooling doesn’t seem too thick, pour it back in the vessel and cook for some time and repeat the process.
- Keep the leftover in an air-tight vessel to not ruin it for future use.
Try making this sweet dish in your homes, and you will come to know how easy it is to make. This dish goes perfectly well in serving your guests and will not disappoint you. Try this dish with a Gujarati meal to make yourself feel the ambiance of its origins.