A famous Rajasthan cuisine that is found on all streets of Delhi is the Dal Bati. The cuisine stands out for its platters that are a complete meal consisting of sweet, spicy, and savory dishes with their authentic bread. The varying climatic conditions of Rajasthan compelled the people to find recipes that could last them longer as well as useful cooking techniques that may sound unique to many. The Rajasthan specialize in serving their sweet and savory food that would not satisfy your taste buds.
Dal Bati is a specialty of Rajasthan that consists of crispy batis made of wheat flour, sooji or semolina, salt, and ghee. These batis are cooked in a tandoor, which gives them a smoky flavor when dipped in the dal. The dal is a mixture of many lentils cooked together and has a tadka of several authentic. Along with Rajasthan spices, Dal Bati becomes a must-try recipe.
Ingredients Of Dal Bati
1 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup chana dal
1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon coriander leaves
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 cup of water
One tablespoon urad dal
1/4 cup green moong dal
1/2 tablespoon ghee
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
Two pinches salt
1/4 inch ginger
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 cup Toor daal
1/2 tablespoon semolina
One pinch salt
One tablespoon ghee
Steps To Make Dal Bati
- After getting all ingredients in place, the dish begins with the preparation of the batis. For making perfect batis, take a glass bowl and add in wheat flour. Put in Rawa, salt, and ghee to the flour and mix everything. Begin using your hand strength by kneading the stiff dough with warm water.
- After forming around the dough, take a small piece of it and shape the dough in the size of a ping pong ball. While doing so, simultaneously heat a gas tandoor, and after it has heated up, roast the dough on low heat. The dough should turn golden brown.
- Break open the golden brown Bati and pour some fresh ghee on the halves. After this, the preparation of the dal must begin.
- Wash all the dals together; add 1 cup water and a pinch of turmeric. Allow the dal to cook in a pressure cooker and take it off the heat after two whistles.
- Mix all spice powders in ½ cup water to create a thin paste. Take a pan that needs to be placed on medium flame. Put ghee and add in cumin and coriander seeds. Once spluttering, add ginger and the pasta of spices and fry for a precise minute. Add the cooked dal.
- Add in little quantity of water and bring the dal to a boil. Check the spice and salt before serving. Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Finally, serve the yum batis with hot delicious dal.
Precautions To Take While Making The Dish
- A right amount of ghee should be applied to the Bati to give it more enhancing taste.
- Any other cooking tool other than the mentioned should be avoided.
- The dal should not be cooked for than two whistles; otherwise, it has chances of being burned or overcooked, creating an undesirable outcome.
- Do follow the serving method to make the dish more attractive and appealing
- Proper proportions mentioned must be observed.
The popularity that Dal Bati is phenomenal. Of course, the delicacy is found all over Rajasthan but, many other states have also adopted the recipe to be able to sell it to the customers commercially. A different taste that it carries, despite that, the Dal Bati has made a place in every person’s heart as the Bati has a crunchy texture which gets a significant number of flavors from the dal. Overall, taking consideration of the quantities of ingredients and minimal steps needed to be followed, the recipe can be made every alternate day easily.