Undhiyu is a famous Gujarati dish traditionally made in the span of two or three months in the winter. It is a typical mixed vegetable dish, which is a regional specialty of the region of Surat. One exciting and savory component of an authentic Gujarati undhiyu recipe is muthia.
There are two primary components of the recipe, namely muthia and the undhiyu dish. These two components have a set of required ingredients, as mentioned below.
Ingredients For Muthia
- 1 cup chopped fenugreek leaves (methi leaves)
- ¼ cup wheat flour
- Four tablespoon gram flour
- Two and ½ tablespoon coarse wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon green chili paste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/8 teaspoon soda bicarbonate
- One teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon coriander-cumin powder
- Salt as per taste
- Two teaspoon oil for frying
Ingredients For Undhiyu
- Seven small potatoes
- Seven small Brinjals
- Two ripe bananas
- One small purple yam
- 1 cup surti val papadi
- ½ cup val dana
- ½ cup tur dana
- ½ cup green chickpeas
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 cups fresh cilantro
- ½ cup green garlic
- One teaspoon carom seeds
- ¼ teaspoon hing
- ¼ teaspoon soda bicarb
- One tablespoon green chili paste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Two tablespoon sugar
- One and ½ tablespoon red chili powder
- Four tablespoon coriander-cumin powder
- ½ cup oil
- Salt to taste
Steps To Prepare Muthia
- Make a mixture of all the ingredients. Apply oil on the hands and use the hands to mix the ingredients properly together.
- Add two or three tablespoons of water to prepare the dough of the mixture.
- Make small balls out of this dough.
- Deep fry these balls in hot oil until they are golden in color.
Steps To Prepare Undhiyu
- Take a large bowl and add the fresh cilantro, grated coconut, green garlic, the salt, sugar, coriander-cumin powder, red chili powder, ginger chilli paste, turmeric, soda bicarb and 2 tbsp of oil. Mix the ingredients well with hand.
- Take a large cooking pan and heat ½ cup of oil. Add hing, tuvar dana, val dana, green chickpeas, surti val papdi, and Carom seeds followed by ⅛ tsp of Soda bicarb and mix them well.
- Add a few tablespoons of the masala prepared in step 1, add water and let it cook covered with a lid on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Take the brinjals cut from the top and add the stuffing in them. Place them on the pan in a horizontal position.
- Add the cut-up purple yams in the pan.
- Slit up the potatoes and add the stuffing masala prepared in step 1. Place them in the pan in a horizontal position.
- Add a little more of the masala on the vegetables. Add some more water and cover the pan with the lid to let the vegetables cook.
- Cook the vegetables for about 20-25 minutes on low flame.
- Add the slit up and stuffed bananas to the pan in a horizontal position.
- Now add the previously prepared muthia and all of the remaining stuffing masala. Press the contents of the pan gently. Cover the pan with a lid and let the contents cook for another 10 minutes on low flame.
- After 10 minutes, remove the pan from the flame. The undhiyu is ready to be served hot.