Kashmiri Dum Aloo is a delicacy from the northern state of Kashmir that is known for its spicy and tangy flavor. The dish is very delicious and the flavor palate of this Kashmiri dum aloo home cooking recipe is penultimate. The dish is apt for an intimate family dinner or lunch with friends and family.
This Kashmiri dum aloo home cooking recipe takes a total of fifty minutes to complete. This includes a preparation time of 30 minutes and a cooking time of about 20 minutes.
Ingredients Needed For Kashmiri Dum Aloo
The following ingredients are required for the preparation and cooking of the dish.
- 500 grams of potatoes
- Salt to taste
- 3 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder (mix it with 2 tablespoons of water)
- 5 tablespoon of ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon of fennel powder
- A teaspoon of caraway seeds
- A pinch of cinnamon for flavor
- 3 cloves
- 1 black cardamom and an optional green cardamom
- 4 or 5 ungrounded black peppers
- 6 tablespoons of yogurt or properly whisked full-fat curd
- 5 cups of water
- Mustard oil
Cooking Method For The Kashmiri Dum Aloo
To make Kashmiri Dum Aloo follow the steps given below carefully.
- Gather all the ingredients mentioned above prior to starting the preparation for the dish
- Thoroughly wash and clean the potatoes.
- Add about 3 and a half cups of water in a pan and put the washed potatoes in it.
- Boil the potatoes submerged in water at a medium to high flame.
- After the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and let them cool to room temperature.
- Peel the skin off the potatoes which will come off easily if they are boiled properly.
- Poke holes in the potatoes using a toothpick or a fork. If the potatoes are large, cut them into halves.
- Now take some oil in a pan and heat it.
- Fry the boiled potatoes properly until they are golden and crisp from all sides.
- Lower the flame and reduce the oil in the pan.
- Add hing powder in the oil a low flame.
- Add the mixture of Kashmiri red chili and water carefully.
- Add the yogurt or whisked curd carefully at a low flame.
- Now add water along with continuous stirring to create a perfect blend.
- Next, add the fennel powder to the thoroughly mixed gravy.
- Add the spices along with the ginger powder to the pan.
- Mix well and add the crisp golden fried potatoes to the pan.
- Add salt to taste and stir the contents of the pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid tightly. Let the contents cook at a low to medium flame for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame when the gravy becomes thick.
Serve hot with chapattis or rice and enjoy dinner or lunch.