It is quite similar to the north Indian sweet dish, rabdi. But both of them have a distinct flavor, and also the taste is pretty different. One can prepare fruit-flavored basundi with various fruits, and custard apple basundi is one of them.
Custard Apple or largely known as Sitaphal in India, is a delicious fruit and admired by mass. Its sweet pulp is an excellent choice for the preparation of basundi. Sitaphal basundi is the appropriate sweet dish for any occasion like a puja to party.
Recipe Of Custard Apple Basundi:
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Full Fat Milk 1-1.25 liter
Sugar 1/2- 2/3 cup
Black cardamom powder 1/2- 1 teaspoon
Custard apple pulp 1 and 1/2 cup
Chopped almond one teaspoon
Chopped peanut one teaspoon
Chipped pistachios one teaspoon
Kishmish or raisins one teaspoon
Condensed milk one tablespoon
Saffron 2-3 strands
One tablespoon of warm water
Protein powder 1 cup
- Prepare the custard apple pulp and store it inside the refrigerator.
- Soak the saffron strands in some warm water and make them dissolved in it.
- Start boiling the milk in a heavy-bottomed non-stick pan. Boil it in a low flame as it should not get burnt. Wait till the milk get thick. Keep on frequently stirring to avoid the burning issue. It should take 15-25 minutes approximately to get perfectly thick.
- Now add the sugar, protein powder, and the condensed milk keeping the flame low. Cook it for 5-12 minutes to make the water of the sugar evaporate. It would be best if you stirred it continuously, or else it can get burnt. And also, scrape the bottom and side of the pan frequently.
- Take the custard apple pulp out of the refrigerator and add it to the preparation. Stir the preparation for 2 minutes. Turn the flame off once it gets prepared and removes the pan from the oven.
- Add the cardamom powder and saffron dissolved water to the basundi. Mix them well with the preparation.
- Pour the chopped almonds, cashew nuts, pistachios, raisins, and peanuts into the pan and mix well. Now your custard apple basundi is ready. You can also sprinkle some chopped dry fruits and raisins on the top of the preparation to make it look presentable.
- Refrigerate the custard apple basundi for at least 1 hour. Serve it chilled.
Custard apple basundi is a super-easy sweet dish recipe that can be prepared with very little effort. It is one of the traditional Indian sweet dishes which is dearly admired by people.