Veg handi is a luxurious vegetable curry prepared in a base of onion- tomato sauce and cashew paste. This indulgence is a treat that will leave you wanting more, no matter how much you eat. This recipe is made in a handi, an Indian cooking pot made of mud with a shallow depth and a wide bottom and is made of clay. Of course, this is no compulsion, and a pan or Kadai can also be used, and that is what we will be doing. To make veg handi, the prep work required is almost minimal and quite simple, after which, there’s nothing much left to do. This treat is best served with naan, tandoori roti, or plain roti.
This Indian dish is not only tasty but also healthy all thanks to lots of vegetables, it’s cooking method in the clay pot, and Indian spices.
Preparation Time: 30 Mins, Cook time: 40 Mins, Total Time: 1 hr 10 Mins
Ingredients Required For Veg Handi
- 4 tsp oil
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 3-4 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1-inch ginger
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 7-10 cashews
- 1 carrot
- ½ cup cauliflower
- ½ capsicum
- ½ cup peas
- 1-2 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1-inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 2 green chilies
- 5 cloves (laung)
- ¼ tsp turmeric (Haldi)
- ¼ tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- ½ tsp coriander powder (dhaniya)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt to taste
- ½ cup curd
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp cream
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- Soak 7-10 cashews in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and saute one chopped onion till they develop a brownish color.
- Add 1-inch ginger.
- Add 4-5 cloves of roughly chopped garlic. Saute these.
- To the pan, add 3-4 medium-sized roughly chopped tomatoes chopped.
- Cut up two roughly chopped green chilies and add to the pan.
- Add your cashews.
- Once cooked, use your blender and blend this mixture to make a rich, creamy paste.
- To the pan, heat oil and bay leaf (tej patta), cinnamon (dalchini), and cloves (laung)
- Add a pinch of salt.
- To this, add the onion tomato paste.
- Now, add chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt.
- Add curd and stir continuously.
- Place the chopped mixed vegetables and water (500 ml) in this.
- Cover and cook on a medium flame of 15 minutes.
- Add crushed Kasuri methi (fenugreek powder), cream, garam masala, and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Serve with naan or tandoori roti!
Your creamy, delicious veg handi is prepared. Enjoy!